The AMTScholarship Deadline is December 15th.
The AMTScholarships are one way AMTSociety is committed to help ensure that future aircraft maintenance technicians are recognized for their desire to enter into the skilled aircraft maintenance profession. The AMTScholarships were created to financially assist those currently working towards their credentials to become certified aircraft maintenance professionals as well as assist those already certified in furthering their professional education and training.
Ten, $1,500 scholarships are awarded each year. All applications should be postmarked no later than December 15, 2011.
1. Follow Directions
- If they ask for five copies and an original - do it
- Put the paperwork in order that it is listed
- Staple if that is directed - don't put in folder or binder
- Do not send attachments - i.e. videotapes, CD's
2. Letters of Recommendation
- Should be current - not several years old
- One letter from person in aviation - knows your skills and experience, abilities, on the job performance, etc.
- One letter from person who has known you for a long time - neighbor, church leader, scout leader, teacher - can address your moral character, how you have worked to get where you are today
- One letter from someone who knows your work ethic - could be aviation person or good friend - address history of your achievements, how and where you are expecting to go from here
- Make sure letter is signed by person who writes it - include name, address, phone number, and e-mail address
- Make sure you are eligible for what you are applying for
- Must meet minimum requirements - i.e. apply for type rating but do not have private certificate; AT for management
4. Neatness Counts
- Make clear copies!
- Copy both sides of logbook to one 8 ½ x 11" page
- Sign each page and total time for every page
- Make sure others can read your handwriting
5. Are you current?
- Current and appropriate medical
- Copy of drivers license and driving record - plan ahead (airline requirement)
- Copies of all your certificates - not just latest one
6. Fill in the Blanks
- On application - fill in the blanks legibly!
- One application per company or scholarship
7. Writing the Essay
- Address the guidelines and questions given for the essay
- Be original - let reference letters state "you always wanted to fly," your struggle, your accomplishments (refer to item 2)
- Try introduction, "My attraction to the industry began with…" "I always wanted to receive training from…"
- Don't reiterate what resume and letters of recommendation have already addressed
- Three main points
- Introduction, Body, Conclusion
- Look up website for possible guidelines or additional instructions
8. Assembling the Final Product
- Put the papers in the order given - there is a reason for the order
- All pages are exactly the same size
- Originals all in one set, clear copies in others
- One package per scholarship
- Don't send letters of recommendation separately - sealed letters sent separately not good - find different person
9. Ship On Time
- You are responsible for obtaining all required items in ample time for collating and shipping
- Place each complete scholarship package in separate envelop and seal well with return and shipping addresses clearly visible
- If multiple scholarships to one organization - place all singular envelopes in one large envelop and make certain the outer container/envelope is sufficient for that journey!
10. Follow Up
- Do not call and ask if package arrived
- Send via UPS, FedEx or certified mail - check tracking number
- Remember - your odds are thousands of times better than the lottery!
- Do a good job and think positive thoughts
Remember - "If you don't ask, You don't get." There are thousands of scholarship opportunities available at any given time. If you don't apply for them you'll never get one. Do your homework, research, and look diligently for scholarship opportunities available to you. There are too many for us to list them all, but we have provided a short list of places you can visit to get started. Short list of URLs for Scholarship Applications and Information: