Assistant Fire Protection Engineer Aviation Federal Hot
- Kansas City, Kansas
- Job ID
Assistant Fire Protection Engineer Aviation Federal job at Burns McDonnell in Kansas City KS
Description, duties, responsibilities
The Assistant Fire Protection Engineer will assist in the design of multi-discipline projects and the preparation of comprehensive fire protection packages including fire suppression fire alarm smoke management and life-safety systems. This position will work on various projects with a diverse portfolio of project types and clients.
- Assist in the design specification and multi-discipline coordination of the following fire protection systems: Wet-pipe dry-pipe pre-action deluge and foam/water fire suppression systems. Fire water supply infrastructure including fire water storage tanks fire pumps underground and aboveground distribution piping and associated appurtenances. Outdoor fire suppression systems including monitors spray systems and exposure protection systems. Addressable and non-addressable voice evacuation fire alarm systems including initiation devices supervision devices and audible and visual notification appliances. Releasing systems for pre-action foam/water and clean agent systems.
- Assist in performing and evaluating fire protection calculations including the hydraulic analysis of fire water supply and demand battery calculations and voltage drop calculations.
- Assist in evaluating building and life safety requirements including building area and height limitations building construction types fire resistive assemblies and opening protections occupancy classifications hazards building egress and active and passive smoke management systems.
- Assist in the construction administration process including coordination with field personnel to resolve design related installation issues the review of contractor shop drawings and calculations field inspections and testing of fire protection systems.
- Assist in performing site evaluations and documenting existing fire protection systems.
- Assist in the preparation and evaluation of project budgets and cost estimates.
- Responsible for compliance with company and site safety policies.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in Fire Protection Engineering or related degree from an ABET accredited program.
- Or Bachelor of Science in Fire Protection or related Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited program and successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
- Master of Science degree in Engineering may be substituted for one year of experience.
- Successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) or Engineer-in-Training (EIT) strongly preferred.
- NICET certification in Water-Based System Layout Fire Alarm Systems or Special Hazards Systems (National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies) is preferred.
- Minimum of a 3.0 GPA strongly preferred.
- Prior internship and/or related consulting experience preferred.
- Involvement on campus or in the community.
- Basic knowledge in standard engineering techniques and procedures.
- Basic knowledge of building codes fire codes NFPA standards FM Global datasheets military standards and refinery/industrial API guidelines a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work methodically and analytically in a quantitative problem-solving environment and demonstrated critical thinking skills.
- Proficient computer skills (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite).
- Strong attention to detail facilitation team building collaboration organization and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain access authorization to facilities and data of existing and potential clients including but not limited to DOE aerospace military food and consumer product manufacturers pharmaceutical laboratories and others necessary to perform work.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work permanently (i.e. without time limitations without restrictions or without need for work sponsorship) in the country where this position is located.
Burns McDonnell Company Overview
The following jobs have been promoted on the Aviation Ad Network and are to be considered - current, newsworthy aviation employment information (FYI). No guarantee is made as to the accuracy, completeness or timeliness of any information, projections or opinions in announcements obtained through the promoted jobs. The information contained in this announcement is compiled for the convenience of site visitors and is accepted by the site visitor on the condition that errors or omissions are not the responsibility of Avjobs and shall not be made the basis for any claim, demand or cause of action. Please visit this companys web site for additional details and information. Please reference Avjobs when applying.