Please Register or sign in to apply for jobs using our automated tools and professional resume builder.
location on map is approximate
List All General Atomics Jobs
Sr Chemical Engineer
San Diego, CA
Salary Annual: USD
General Atomics (GA) and its affiliated companies is one of the worldA¢a,¬a¢s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft airborne sensors and advanced electric electronic wireless and laser technologies.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Sr. Chemical Engineer at our location in La Jolla CA in the Nuclear Technology and Materials Division within the Energy group. This position involves design and optimization of chemical processing steps to obtain a final product that supports the nuclear and aerospace industries. The raw materials of the process are preceramic polymers; therefore experience in polymer product development inorganic polymer synthesis and familiarity with ceramics are desirable. Hands on experience in developing a product for fabrication and manufacturing is required. This Sr. Chemical Engineer will be responsible for research and development of chemical processing steps and scaling up the production quantity at our GA facility in La Jolla CA.
This position is responsible for applying innovative approaches to resolving unusual or complex engineering problems under general directions with limited review. Assignments are normally outlined in terms of overall objectives and reviewed largely at completion. Initiates the planning of engineering projects and develops innovative designs or modifications in order to meet project goals. Independently performs difficult/complex engineering work with instructions as to the general expected results. Documents findings communicates results to engineering staff makes technical presentations and may represent the organization as the prime technical contact on small contracts or single component projects. Provides direction to design or technical staff and may lead a team of moderately experienced professional staff. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Travel to subcontractor site and work with subcontractor to transition technology to GA
- Conduct chemical processing steps for polymerization and ceramic conversion.
- Ensure environment controls are met for necessary chemical processing steps.
- Provide research and development for the chemical processing steps.
- Design and optimize GA Proof of Concept Facility by scaling-up the chemical processing steps.
- Supports operation of engineering systems and documents any problems.
- Devises new approaches to resolve unusual or complex engineering problems.
- Troubleshoot conflicting design/development requirements difficult coordination requirements and special material requirements.
- Provides documentation and makes technical presentations as required.
- May represent the organization as the prime technical contact on small contracts or single component projects.
- Provides direction to design or technical staff and may lead a team of moderately experienced professional staff.
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Responsible for observing all laws regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company. Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- 25% travel will be required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; nine or more years of experience with a bachelors degree seven or more years of experience with a masters degree or four or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Experience in product development is required.
- Experience in inorganic polymer synthesis and familiarity with ceramics are desirable.
- Experience with characterization equipment such as a viscometer gel permeation chromatography and liquid chromatography is desirable.
- Experience working with furnaces hot presses and other sintering equipment desirable.
- Experience with different ceramic matrix composite processing methods is desirable
- Experience with lean manufacturing principles is desirable
- Must have a thorough understanding of engineering concepts principles codes and theory; experience demonstrating a broad application of those concepts; and expanding knowledge of principles concepts theory and practices in related technical specialties.
- Must possess the ability to develop and communicate new concepts; apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; organize schedule and coordinate work phases; and determine the appropriate approach at the task level or with assistance at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
- Must have strong communication computer documentation presentation and interpersonal skills ability to work independently and as part of a team; able to perform complex tasks in one or more engineering areas; capable of representing the organization as a prime technical contact and lead a team of moderately experienced professional employees on single component projects.
- Able to work extended hours as required.
- A Professional Engineering License and original work published in professional engineering journals are desirable.
Security Clearance: No
Travel Percentage: 0% - 25%
Sr Chemical Engineer job at General Atomics
Apply for this Sr Chemical Engineer position today
Please sign in to apply for this job.
Apply for these great jobs today!
Get Job Updates (it's free)
Enter your email to get FREE job updates.