Please Register or sign in to apply for jobs using our automated tools and professional resume builder.
location on map is approximate
List All General Atomics Jobs
Sr Electrical Engineer
San Diego, CA
Salary Annual: USD
General Atomics (GA) and its affiliated companies is one of the worldA¢a,¬a¢s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle and fusion energy research to remotely piloted aircraft airborne sensors and advanced electric electronic wireless and laser technologies.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We currently have an exciting and challenging opportunity for an experienced power engineer to join our DIII-D (National Fusion Facility) program in San Diego CA. With limited direction this position exercises considerable latitude for initiating and developing designs procedures techniques and solution to resolving advanced technical engineering problems. Candidate will be responsible for leading a group of technicians and engineer in the operation integration and design of high power and high voltage power supply systems associated with operation of a state of the art experimental fusion device the DIII-D Tokamak which is the largest operating fusion device in the U.S. DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitors and supervises the operation of 12 high power power supply systems from the 12.47kVAC input power through a precision regulator consisting of high power components including Vacuum tubes and the associated PLC and microprocessor based control systems.
- Will be responsible for leading his/her team in the installation integration commissioning and operation of new power supply systems being envisioned for installation within the next few years in support of new plasma heating systems.
- Troubleshoots analyzes and repairs systems in assigned area by utilizing standard engineering practices.
- Obtains and analyzes test data to improve the understanding of system function and troubleshooting.
- Develops appropriate documentation of findings and implemented solutions and makes technical presentations as required.
- Directs the activities of designers technicians and direct the activities of less experienced professional staff and provides mentoring as necessary.
- Responsible for resource planning scheduling and budgeting for operations maintenance refurbishments and upgrades of responsible systems.
- Responsible for personnel safety of their own working group as well as others having contact with their equipment.
- Utilizes a standard set of electrical engineering skills to lead projects and provides overall guidance to the development of new systems.
- Flexibility in work hours is necessary to cover extended operation days and when emergency repairs are needed to recover from a system failure.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for observing all laws regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Typically requires a Bachelors degree Masters degree or PhD in Engineering or related technical field and progressively complex engineering experience as follows; nine or more years experience with a Bachelors degree seven or more years experience with a Masters degree and four or more with a PhD. May substitute equivalent experience in lieu of education.
- Demonstrates an extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles concepts theory and practice with the ability to organize plan schedule conduct and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some experience in project leadership.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment.
- Must possess strong communication presentation and interpersonal skills are required enabling an effective interface with other departments and/or professionals and capable of representing the organization as a prime technical contact as well as providing leadership and guidance to less experienced professionals.
- Must be able to formulate plans based on the development of innovative new designs in resolving advanced technical engineering problems.
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team environment. Able to work extended hours as required. A Professional Engineering License original work(s) published in professional engineering journals and invited to present one or more original works to an engineering symposium are desirable.
- Experience working with High Voltage > 1kV and High Power > 200kW systems.
- Familiarity with VME PLC programming and computer hardware and networking is preferred.
- Working knowledge of Vacuum Tubes IGBT and high power SCRA¢a,¬a¢s.
- Experience in leading groups or teams.
Security Clearance: No
Travel Percentage: 0% - 25%
Sr Electrical Engineer job at General Atomics
Apply for this Sr Electrical Engineer position today
Please sign in to apply for this job.
Apply for these great jobs today!
Get Job Updates (it's free)
Enter your email to get FREE job updates.