Please Register or sign in to apply for jobs using our automated tools and professional resume builder.
location on map is approximate
List All General Atomics Jobs
Machine Shop Supervisor
San Diego, CA
Salary Annual: USD
General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc. (GA-ASI) an affiliate of General Atomics is a world leader in proven reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Machine Shop Supervisor to support the GA-ASI: Mission Systems group in Rancho Bernardo CA. The Machine Shop Supervisor will be expected to manage the model shop workload and assign tasks to machinists.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the model shop workload assign tasks to machinists
- Provide design-for-machining feedback on drawings
- Interface with internal customers provide cost and schedule estimates.
- Perform complex machining operations in support of developmental prototype or maintenance parts to exacting tolerances and dimensions.
- Review engineering drawings and provide guidance to machinists.
- Efficiently organize machine shop to be production like.
- Work with procurement and quality to streamline part fabrication for engineers to be a one stop shop.
- Plans and directs subordinates to achieve assignments using established guidelines procedures and policies.
- Directs the activities of the group to ensure smooth flow of work and that production schedules are met.
- Establishes interprets and modifies operational processes and procedures. Develops up to date accurate documentation and reports to reflect machine shop activities.
- Participates with management in developing/updating operating procedures and training programs and oversees the selection retention training and development of staff.
- Essential Functions:
- Through supervisors oversees machinists fabricators and/or technicians in through all phases of production in accordance with established schedules. May oversee more than one location. Offers guidance and coaching to manufacturing personnel.
- Participates in designing and building tooling needed for the production process.
- Manages and directs the activities of the machining and sheet metal function and other areas as assigned.
- Reviews engineering drawings and production planning for conformance in all mechanical manufacturing departments.
- Applies knowledge of production planning scheduling of workload tooling requirements and machine maintenance to ensure a smooth flow of work through the departments.
- Evaluates and determines staffing requirements and technical capabilities of personnel within the function.
- Participates in the selection retention training and development of staff including interviewing performance appraisals and promotion recommendations. Develops programs and procedures for the training of personnel.
- Typically requires education/formal training equivalent to the completion of an Associates degree and eleven or more years progressively complex experience in machining and/or related field including five or more years supervisory experience. Additional professional experience may be substituted in lieu of education.
- Extensive knowledge of machining processes and tools.
- Must demonstrate an in-depth working knowledge and a comprehensive understanding of machine shop principles concepts regulations and practices; and leadership skills including organizing planning scheduling and coordinating workloads to meet established deadlines and milestones.
- Must possess (1) the ability to resolve complex issues; (2) strong verbal and written communication skills to accurately document report and present findings; (3) strong interpersonal skills to effectively interface with all levels of employees including providing direction to and scheduling work of assigned supervisors and staff; (4) the ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information; and (5) strong computer skills. Ability to work independently and lead in a team environment is essential as is the ability to work extended hours and travel as required
- Ability to operate 3D CAD systems such as CREO or SolidWorks is desired.
- Working knowledge of Windchill is desired.
- Active Secret Security Clearance IS REQUIRED. (Requires U.S. Citizenship)
Security Clearance: Yes
Travel Percentage: 0% - 25%
Machine Shop Supervisor job at General Atomics
Apply for this Machine Shop Supervisor position today
Please sign in to apply for this job.
Apply for these great jobs today!
Get Job Updates (it's free)
Enter your email to get FREE job updates.