Please Register or sign in to apply for jobs using our automated tools and professional resume builder.
location on map is approximate
List All General Atomics Jobs
San Diego, CA
Salary Annual: USD
General Atomics (GA) and its affiliated companies is one of the worlds leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft airborne sensors and advanced electric electronic wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet space systems and satellites missile defense power and energy and process and monitoring applications for defense industrial and commercial customers worldwide.
Summary Responsible for providing technical solutions for a wide range of difficult design problems as well as leading the development of effective thorough practicable and innovative design solutions for major components or major portions of a functional system. Lead the development or improvement of products which facilitate manufacturing operations utilizing computer-aided design (CAD) equipment and technical engineering software applications. Assignments are normally outlined in terms of overall objectives and anticipated results. Work is reviewed at major milestones or at project completion for adequacy in meeting objectives. Develops layouts sketches and drawings of complex assemblies and details parts of devices mechanisms and structures. May investigate pertinent design factors such as ease of manufacture availability of materials and equipment interchangeability ease of replacement strength-weight efficiency and contractual specification requirements and cost. Validates conformity to design standards and specifications and identifies design errors and other deficiencies and recommends changes. Documents findings communicates results to engineering staff and other affected organizations and may make technical design presentations as required. May coordinate segments of a specific project and has frequent intra-organizational and customer contact. Provides direction to less experienced designers and support staff.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides leadership in developing design solutions for assigned structural products and components.
- Interacts with engineering staff on design concepts and progress.
- May be assigned design oversight of a major portion of a project or program.
- Provides documentation identifies design issues and makes technical design presentations to engineering staff and customers as required.
- Coordinates and directs the activities of less experienced designers and support staff.
- Maintains a currency in CAD techniques ANSI Y4.15 drawing principles as well as applicable state of the art engineering design software applications.
- Responsible for observing all laws regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company. Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices. Additional Functions Other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires an associates degree technical/trade school training or equivalent and nine or more years of progressive experience using 3D CAD solid modeling. Additional work experience may be substituted lieu of education.
- Must have a complete understanding of engineering design concepts and drawing principles including ANSI Y4.15 and demonstrate a high skill level using one or more technical engineering software applications.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment. Must be able to organize schedule and coordinate work phases and provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
- Must have good communication documentation presentation and interpersonal skills and excellent computer skills.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team and able to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Must have the ability to perform complex engineering design tasks while providing direction to less experienced design staff. Able to work extended hours as required.
Security Clearance: No
Travel Percentage: 0% - 25%
Designer VI job at General Atomics
Apply for this Designer VI position today
Please sign in to apply for this job.
Apply for these great jobs today!
Get Job Updates (it's free)
Enter your email to get FREE job updates.