Flight Paramedic Aircare Hot
- Iowa City, Iowa
- Job ID
Flight Paramedic Aircare job at The University of Iowa in Iowa City IA
Description, duties, responsibilities
90% Flight Paramedic AirCare (Dubuque IA)
The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Department of Emergency Medicine is seeking a part-time (90%) Flight Paramedic for the AirCare program to assess patients nursing care needs evaluate effectiveness of care provided and integrate nursing theory and research into clinical practice.
Our helicopters and specialty transport ground ambulances rapidly transport critically ill and severely injured patients delivering medical care en route with an emphasis on supporting high-risk patient populations including multi-system trauma victims neonates pediatric patients and patients suffering from time-sensitive or complex medical conditions. Additionally AirCare is the only flight program in Iowa affiliated with an emergency medicine residency program the only flight program in Iowa supplementing their medical crew with flight physicians and collaborates with over 100 emergency medical services fire and law enforcement programs throughout Iowa and the region.
Our primary and specialty care is provided by experts from all medical specialties attracting patients from around the world. We offer our care in convenient comfortable settings using the most advanced approaches and with the best outcomes as our goal.
- Responds to all AirCare requests for patients 28 days and above; participates in physical assessment of patient and initiates/continues care per AirCare protocol; ongoing assessment and troubleshooting; communicate patient status history and treatment en route and upon arrival.
- Monitors and manages airway and ventilation.
- Administers medications including oral rectal sublingual nasal topical otic ophthalmic endotracheal inhalation enteral parenteral and intraosseous routes.
- Responsible for oxygen therapy and monitoring; cardiac monitoring (acquiring and interpreting 12-leads); cardioversion defibrillation and transthoracic pacing.
- Responsible for hemorrhage control; spinal immobilization and splinting; peripheral intravenous (IV) and intraosseous (IO) insertion maintenance and monitoring; initiation of peripheral IV monitoring and maintaining medicated IV s.
- Performs obtain venous blood samples urine samples; assist clinician in tube thoracostomy (monitor and manage the chest tube and thoracic draining system; monitor internal pacemakers; monitor and access arterial lines; monitor and access central venous lines including hemodynamic monitoring within the nursing team.
- Demonstrates and practices competency and proficiency in advanced life support procedures including: oral intubation RSI intraosseous needle thoracostomy and needle and surgical cricothyroidotomy.
- Checks all AirCare supplies equipment and medications at the beginning of each shift; restock as needed.
- Practices and maintains safe working environment at all times. Consistently incorporates and practices with an attitude of safety with regards to patient crew and self in accordance with FAA regulations and AirCare protocol.
- Communicates any pertinent changes in patient condition or disposition and report unusual incidents.
- Performs related and routine clerical tasks pursuant to performing the aforementioned duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
Pay Grade: GC66/10
Percent of Time: 90%
Schedule: Rotating 24-hour and 12-hour shifts plus every other weekend and holiday rotation requirement
Staff Type: Merit
Type of Position: Regular
Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
- Graduation from high school
- Current Iowa EMT-PS Criitical Care Paramedic certification and
- BCLS ACLS PALS (or PEPP) NRP and PHTLS are required. TPATC or ATLS is required within 6 months of hire and
- Minimum 3 years of advances life support in the field while working as a full-time emergency response paramedic and
- Demonstrated success in the field of advances life support.
- Must obtain Certified Flight Paramedic within 2 years of hire.
- Iowa Critical Care Endorsement
- Prefer applicants with three (3) years advanced life support field experience as an emergency response paramedic or current ER experience with a history of advanced life support field experience.
- Prefer applicants with current paramedic certification by the Iowa Department of Public Health Bureau of Emergency Medical Services
- Prefer applicants with the following certifications:
- An advanced trauma certification
- Prefer applicants with an Associate degree in Paramedic.
Application Process: In order to be considered applicants must upload a resume. Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process. Job openings are posted for a minimum of 10 calendar days. Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on March 1 2021. This job may be removed from posting and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended. Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check. This position is not eligible for University sponsorship for employment authorization.
The University of Iowa Company Overview
The following jobs have been promoted on the Aviation Ad Network and are to be considered - current, newsworthy aviation employment information (FYI). No guarantee is made as to the accuracy, completeness or timeliness of any information, projections or opinions in announcements obtained through the promoted jobs. The information contained in this announcement is compiled for the convenience of site visitors and is accepted by the site visitor on the condition that errors or omissions are not the responsibility of Avjobs and shall not be made the basis for any claim, demand or cause of action. Please visit this companys web site for additional details and information. Please reference Avjobs when applying.