Please Register or sign in to apply for jobs using our automated tools and professional resume builder.
location on map is approximate
Ambulance Comm Spec
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI
How to Apply
A cover letter and resume is required for consideration for this position and the cover letter should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. Applications received without a resume attached will not be considered.Job Summary:
+ Facilitate organize and orchestrate timely and accurate flow of all information necessary for any mission involving Survival Flight personnel and/or representatives of Survival Flight including but not limited to: rotor wing transports fixed wing transports ground transports and organ procurement and public relations events.
+ Provide communication in a courteous and positive manner with a customer focus perspective.
+ Assist patients/families/healthcare partners with problem resolution as appropriate.
+ Facilitate organize and orchestrate timely and accurate flow of all information necessary for any mission related to the State of Michigan mandated MEDRUN and CHEMPACK including but not limited to the training of secondary agencies responsible for the institution of these programs.
+ Facilitate ambulances transporting patients to UMMC where no medical direction is needed and any aircraft using University helipads and receiving unit staff.
+ Liaison for multiple teams requiring priority notifications as needed.
+ Provide assistance for helicopter emergency medical service agencies when transitioning through the general airspace of University of Michigan Health System.
+ The Communications Specialist is responsible for timely and accurate recording of and prompt dispersal of all information received in the communications center regarding emergency and non-emergency activities.
1. Answer and triage all incoming telephone calls to the communications center.
2. Document accurate and appropriate information.
3. Transfer calls as required.
4. Maintain telephone recording equipment.
1. Monitor and answer incoming radio calls to the communications center.
2. Document accurate and appropriate information.
3. Maintain radio recording equipment.
4. Relay information to staff as appropriate via telephone pager radio and/or voice pagers.
1. Maintain and use appropriate computer skills using programs such as but not limited to:
+ Flight Vector
+ Microsoft Excel
+ Microsoft Word
+ Internet Explorer
+ Street Atlas
+ EMS Chart
1. Maintain computer equipment.
2. Efficiency in map reading and ability to plot map location skills.
3. Complete flight or vendor specific training system.
1. Maintain accurate information as related to current staff current aircraft status current hospital status NOTAMS MTU location and public relation events.
Survival Flight Patient Transportation:
1. When applicable obtain information from referring agencies such as but not limited to location of the scene landing zone information ground contact contact frequencies presence of hazardous materials etc.
2. Confirm referring hospital and unit and receiving hospital including unit and physician.
3. Obtain initial patient information and patient demographic information including weight. Initiate use of obese patient form when applicable.
4. Maintain patient/flight information with required paperwork
5. Confirm availability of all modes of transport.
6. Maintain records/computer information as required.
1. Maintain documentation of aircraft launch and landing times crew on board fuel on board in-flight aircraft positions in longitude and latitude every ten minutes type and color of aircraft and direction and speed of travel.
2. Arrange for fuel and/or equipment needs as identified by the agency database and/or flight crew.
3. Ability to accurately locate and coordinate assistance should an in-flight emergency arise.
4. Provide communication with operational control center (OCC) to verify aviation readiness and logistics of transport which is FAA requirement.
1. Obtain initial patient information and patient demographics.
2. Assure the financial and/or insurance status of the patient allows for the transport of the patient as required by protocol.
3. Maintain documentation of aircraft launch and landing times crew on board fuel on board type and color of aircraft and direction and speed of travel.
4. Arrange for transportation of the flight crew between airports and hospitals.
5. Arrange for equipment needs as identified by the agency database and/or flight crew.
6. Ability to accurately locate and coordinate assistance should an in-flight emergency arise.
7. Provide communication with operational control center (OCC) to verify aviation readiness and logistics of transport which is FAA requirement.
Organ Procurement Team Transportation:
1. Gather information related to the referring facility receiving facility patient information equipment needs organ procurement team members and the mode of transport requested by the Organ Procurement Coordinator.
2. Arrange for the mode of transport requested by the Organ Procurement Coordinator.
3. Maintain documentation of times related to the transport.
4. Fuel and/or equipment arrangements.
5. Accurately locate and coordinate assistance as needed.
6. Maintain records for each transport.
Activation for the following systems:
1. Trauma Notification System
2. Stroke Notification System
3. Disaster Notification System
4. Cardiac Arrest Notification System
5. In house Emergency Communications
6. AMI team.
7. Any others that maybe developed.
STATE of MICHIGAN MEDRUN/CHEMPACK:
1. Obtain and disseminate information as outlined within the State of Michigan MEDRUN/CHEMPACK Communications Manual to include the activation of the appropriate team and resource.
2. Train the secondary communications center as to the responsibilities of their communications staff.
Continued Quality Improvement:
1. Continued Quality Improvement indicators and reporting.
1. Participate in outreach and/or tours of the public and/or agencies.
Active involvement in one or more departmental committees.
+ Current Emergency Medical Technician or greater licensure issued by the State of Michigan.
+ Three or more years of documented full-time emergency dispatch/communications experience.
+ One or more years of documented (road experience) on a licensed ambulance.
+ Minimum high school graduate.
1. Experience as an air medical Communication Specialist.
2. Familiarity with computer data entry aviation and radio and telephone systems.
3. Multi-tasking abilities. Demonstrated problem solving skills and independent decision making in working with peers residents and/or attending physicians within and outside institutional boundaries (specific examples with references required) and conflict resolution abilities.
4. NAACS Certification/Membership
+ Day/Nights 12 hour shifts
+ 6 AM - 6 PM OR 6 PM - 6 AM
+ 36 hour work weeks
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the AFSCME union which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages benefits hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients populations and communities through excellence in education patient care community service research and technology development and through leadership activities in Michigan nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Job Opening ID
AMBULANCE COMM SPEC
AMBULANCE COMM SPEC
Michigan Medicine - Health SysAnn Arbor MI
UMH Survival Flight
Posting Begin/End Date
11/13/2017 – 11/18/2017
Service/Maintenance Grade 12
Service / Maintenance (AFSCME Union)
Apply Now at http://careers.umich.edu/jobdetail/apply/149372
Ambulance Comm Spec job at University of Michigan
Apply for this Ambulance Comm Spec position today
Please sign in to apply for this job.