Please Register or sign in to apply for jobs using our automated tools and professional resume builder.
location on map is approximate
List All General Atomics Jobs
San Diego, CA
Salary Annual: USD
General Atomics (GA) and its affiliated companies is one of the worldA¢a,¬a¢s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft airborne sensors and advanced electric electronic wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMSA¢a,¬a¢ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet space systems and satellites missile defense power and energy and process and monitoring applications for defense industrial and commercial customers worldwide.
Under supervision with general instructions from a senior level engineer this position support the engineering staff as an engineering lead for a given Integrated Product Team (IPT) or equivalent engineering project subsystem by evaluating and interpreting needs and problems and develops effective approaches to resolving those issues. The engineering lead supports the engineering staff by reviewing the analysis provides guidance for the engineering investigation and resolution of engineering problems of moderate scope and complexity. Provides assignments previously approved by functional manager or senior engineer normally accompanied by general instructions and suggestions; outlining possible approaches sources or information and potential problems to be encountered with work reviewed regularly for soundness of technical judgment overall adequacy and accuracy. Given tasks involve the exercise of independent judgment and discretion about matters of significance. Review and approves documents findings and implemented solutions and communicates results to engineering staff. Contacts are primarily internal with frequent inter-organization or customer contact on routine matters.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides direction to manufacturing test subcontracts staff or technician staff
- Supports the coordination all activities between design engineering QA procurement program office planning configuration management vendor and customer
- Ensures design and procurement documents are in place to support procurement of component
- Documents findings and implement solutions and communicates results to engineering staff
- Assists the engineering staff in the analysis investigation and solution of routine engineering problems of limited scope related to small project(s) or to phase(s) of larger project(s) normally outlined in terms of task-related activities with detailed instructions
- Performs functional testing of equipment and systems in assigned area by utilizing standard engineering and scientific principles
- Documents findings and implemented solutions and communicates results to senior engineer or manager
- Obtains and compiles data related to modeling analysis and testing
- Requires to make brief technical presentations to project staff
- Advises management and engineering staff of the status of work in progress material availability and potential design or production problems to ensure that personnel equipment materials and services are provided as needed.
- Works with manufacturing engineering and project management to resolve any design related issue impacting production and to improve product design.
- Perform root-cause failure analysis requirements verification develops failure tree and troubleshooting steps by utilizing standard engineering practices and scientific principles
- Represent the organization in technical review boards and customer meetings as a member of the engineering project subsystem providing solutions/status to technical issues associated with specific projects.
- Performs review approval presentation and the tracking of engineering change request and assemblies manufactured for the functional test with emphasis to the respective subsystem requirements
- Assesses any given Incident Report (IR) due to a failure of a Unit Under Test (UUT) develops a Plan of Action and Milestone (POA&M) and supports the Failure Reporting and Corrective Action System (FRACAS)
- Completes and reviews required documentation to disposition any equipment or system as a UUT provides technical presentation before internal customers as required
- Execute all work in verbatim compliance with the required processes and procedures
- Provide direction and task activities to engineer staff under the IPT or assigned project
- Provides disposition to Supplier Disposition Requests (SDR)/ Non-Conformances (NR) and others due to manufacturing requests for information request for design change or non-conformances on the parts being made
- Provides technical evaluations and non-competitive procurement justifications to support procurement decisions
- Supports and resolves issues and problems at the test site to support test schedule
- Develops procurement documents and specifications Statement of Work (SOW) documents and proposals support for engineered components and assemblies
- Performs other duties as assigned or required
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a BachelorA¢a,¬a¢s degree MasterA¢a,¬a¢s degree or PhD in Mechanical engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; four or more years of experience with a BachelorA¢a,¬a¢s degree or two or more years of experience with a MasterA¢a,¬a¢s degree. Must have an understanding of engineering concepts principles and theory with technical experience demonstrating the application of those concepts while ensuring safety and regulatory compliance. Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment and organize work assignments to meet established timetables. Good communication and interpersonal skills are required enabling an effective interface with other professionals the production of appropriate documentation and the presentation of results to a limited internal audience.
- Demonstrates an understanding of design engineering processes and procedures planning and scheduling methods budget management negotiation and delegation
- Demonstrates extensive understanding of manufacturing processes and procedures planning and scheduling methods budget management negotiation and delegation
- Demonstrates extensive understanding of test data analyzes
- Develops appropriate documentation of findings and implemented solutions
- Possess the ability to organize schedule and coordinate workloads to meet established milestones and budgets
- Must be a team player with superior interpersonal verbal and written communication skills and interface effectively throughout all levels of the company
- Must be proficient with MS Office and Project
- Must be proficient with Pro/Engineer or equivalent 3-D CAD system
- Must have understanding of GD&T
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment is essential
- Ability to work extended hours and travel as required
- May be required to obtain and maintain a US Security clearance
- An EIT (Engineer in Training) certificate or PE (Professional Engineer) license are desirable
- Familiar with ANSYS NASGRO AutoCAD MatLab and MathCAD is desirable
- Experience in defense program acquisition shipbuilding ship design construction and repair
- Experience with electrical component design or control system hardware
- Experience with Earn Value Management System
- Production and fabrication experience is a plus
- Machine design experience is a plus
Security Clearance: Desired
Travel Percentage: 0% - 25%
Mechanical Engineer job at General Atomics
Apply for this Mechanical Engineer position today
Please sign in to apply for this job.
Apply for these great jobs today!
Get Job Updates (it's free)
Enter your email to get FREE job updates.