Research & Networking
Research & Networking
As many as 8 out of 10 new jobs are obtained through some
type of personal contact. Learning how to use personal contacts
effectively, therefore, is crucial in your aviation job
search. Networking is the process of contacting individuals
who can help you in your job search either by suggesting
job leads and/or giving you referrals to other people who
know of job openings. The Avjobs System and the Ultimate
Job Seeker Subscription are the foundation of this process.
Today, finding a job is a full-time job. Just like everything
in life, you get out of it what you put into it. If you
work part-time, it will take you longer to reach your goals.
Just sending the same resume for each opportunity will not
get you the interview, let alone the job.
Good research on aviation employers will not only give
you the competitive edge, but also help you decide which
employers you want to reach and which strategies you will
use to contact them. For help with locating aviation employers
in your area, or around the world, log into the Avjobs Applicant
System and use the
Why do Research?
Using the information in your job search:
- To spend your time wisely.
- To find out about job openings.
- To learn about benefits.
- To show interest and initiative.
- To learn about the company.
- To prepare for the interview.
- Determine which job openings sound interesting.
- Conduct your research using the tips (mentioned
- Complete am information sheet for the job and the
company for each job opening that interests you.
- Compare this information with your interests, knowledge,
skills, abilities, salary/fringe requirements and other
- Decide whether it is worth you time to apply for
- If the answer is "no", don't waste your time.
- If the answer is "yes", go for it!
Over 80% of jobs are never advertised in the newspaper
or listed on any service. Most jobs are filled before
they need to be advertised or listed on any employment agency.
These never advertised job openings are referred to as the
"Hidden" job market. The Avjobs System, the
Ultimate Job Seeker Subscription, and Networking is the only way
you will gain information about these openings.
Through networking you will:
Where to obtain this information:
- Find out about more job openings
- Obtain Names and phone numbers of other industry
employers and other people to contact
- Inform many employers and other people that you
are looking for work
- Have a "foot-in-the-door" for job openings
- Discover job openings before they are advertised
- Face less competition for jobs
- Be more familiar to the hiring authority
- Let employers and other people know what your skills
and interests are
- Avjobs Applicant System (Job
- Company Annual Reports
- Company Visits
- Observation of employees leaving work
- Current/former employees
- Business organizations (Chamber of Commerce, etc.)
- Industry directories
- Internet (company home pages)