Aviation Technical Specialist
- Frederick, Maryland
- Hourly $23.00 - $35.00
- Job ID
Aviation Technical Specialist job at Aircraft Owners and Pilots Assoc in Frederick MD
Description, duties, responsibilities
Aviation Technical Specialists in AOPA’s Pilot Information Center serve as a technical resource to AOPA members, staff, and the aviation community at large. Responsibilities include analysis and resolution of member inquiries and issues pertaining to domestic and international flight operations, enforcement actions, aircraft maintenance and ownership, current and changing regulations, airports, security, medical, airspace, charting, and flight training. Specialists utilize personal aviation experience and expertise along with industry and government contacts to conduct research used to guide advocacy and outreach efforts throughout AOPA. Specialists are also responsible for member education on AOPA products and services during their communication with members.
- Accept and resolve member inquiries via email, phone, chat, fax, mail, and in-person communication. This can require research and outreach to government and private sector aviation contacts not generally available to membership.
- Provide aviation technical expertise to all AOPA departments in support of association goals and objectives.
- Develop and maintain online resources for the AOPA website to enable member self-support.
- Facilitate communication with other AOPA departments to maintain specialist awareness of operations and initiatives that impact pilots and AOPA members. Maintain open communication with those departments to provide insight of current member perceptions.
- Provide occasional elective aviation technical support to AOPA Outreach events including major airshows and fly-ins nationwide.
Desired Education, Skills & Experience:
- Applicants must be an FAA-certificated commercial pilot, flight instructor certification preferred, with recent flight experience. They must possess an understanding of aviation subject matter including FAA regulations, the nation's airspace system, airport governance and operations, aircraft maintenance, aircraft ownership, FAA rulemaking, international flight operations, pilot security requirements, pilot and instructor certificate privileges and limitations, enforcement procedures, ATC operations, and flight training. Applicants should possess a developing level of knowledge on medical certification and digital product support. Experience in internet research methodology and use of Microsoft office is strongly preferred. Applicants must also have at least two years of industry experience. An ability to work in a fast-paced environment and maintain a high level of customer satisfaction and excellent written and verbal communication skills are required. Applicants must possess a comprehensive knowledge of the aviation industry including current events that impact aviation, as well as current and developing technologies and trends.
- Aviation-related undergraduate degree or comparable experience is preferred.