Senior Quality Inspector Airworthiness Featured
- West Lafayette, Indiana
- Annual Salary
- Job ID
Senior Quality Inspector Airworthiness job at Saab Aeronautics LLC in West Lafayette IN
Description, duties, responsibilities
At Saab Aerospace Systems in West Lafayette, IN you have the opportunity to join a team that will manufacture the rear section of the T-7A Red Hawk military trainer aircraft for the United States Air Force. When at full capacity by 2027, Saab will employ over 300 employees in the West Lafayette facility in management, administration, and manufacturing. The new flagship facility will utilize advanced manufacturing techniques and leverage research and development to support Saab’s broad product portfolio.
Our West Lafayette advanced manufacturing facility is currently seeking an Airworthiness Inspector to conduct internal quality inspections, to ensure established quality procedures and norms are followed. Responsibilities will include:
- Perform functions associated with aircraft project flight safety, design and flight certification procedures, qualification processes and testing.
- Use test and diagnostic equipment to perform checkouts; document results in accordance with standard procedures.
- Ensure aircraft conforms to its type design and is in a condition for safe operation (FAR3:5)
- Give final approval of aircraft thru issuance of airworthiness certificates
- Conduct routine quality analysis and tests/inspections of a quality control program, where duties and tasks are standardized.
- Understand the design requirements and verify that the product meets the right level of quality according the requirements.
- Perform the Statement of Compliance (SoC) and Airworthiness Inspections to verify that the product meets requirements in standards and specifications.
- Dimensionally and visually inspect surfaces, fasteners, sealant, paintings, steps, gaps and test requirements.
- Ensure harnesses, tubes and equipment are installed according to requirements.
- Inspect product for foreign objects debris and damage (FOD).
- Ensure 100% quality according to requirements
- Ensure that quality levels on the product are according to requirements and that the processes have been done according to requirements
- Give quality feedback to the build team on inspection results.
- Serve as final approving authority for the product before delivery to the customer.
- Document all test/inspection results
- Issue Non-Conformance reports when deviations are found.
- Analyze and evaluate the build process and the operators’ performance to ensure quality levels meet specifications.
- Support the build team with independent inspections during the build process
- Perform internal quality systems audits.
- Cooperate with production and supplier quality to reduce the amount of non-conformances
- Participate as a member of the Material Review Board team.
- Train new and future Quality Inspectors in quality principles and systems.
- Serve as subject matter expert for inspection.
- Give suggestions on improvements to drive continuous improvement of the process.
- Highlight to leadership when there is risk of jeopardizing the quality levels or not delivering according to objectives.
- Other qualitytasks as assigned by manager.
Skills and Experience:
- High school degree required. Technical degree or certification in the field of aviation is preferred.
- FAA A&P certified with a minimum 5 years of experience as an aircraft A&P Mechanic, or 7+ years in aircraft maintenance experience with the authority of Quality Inspector.
- Prior experience in an aeronautical manufacturing organization is desirable.
- High level of Airworthiness workmanship in inspection processes for structural assembly and/or system installation.
- Experience working with standards and quality requirements.
- Excellent communication and team working skills.?
- Must be able to pass standard FAA vision test.
- Must be self-mobile and able to stand for extended periods.
- Ability to perform physical tasks such as sitting, bending, stooping, walking, climbing, reaching during a normal workday.
- Ability to perform repetitive motions (such as lifting or assembly of parts) including the use of hand held power tools.
- Ability to lift up to fifty (50) pounds occasionally.
- Hearing within normal ranges is important for conversations, and to receive ordinary information and directives from Production Supervisors and management as required.
- Ability to work extended hours when required.
Must be a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident (green card holder), or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
Pre-employment Screening Requirements:
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to meet the following criteria: (i) pass a drug screen, (ii) complete a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, and education and employment verification, and (iii) be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (unless granted an accommodation permitted by law and then in compliance with Saab’s requirements related to the accommodation, if any).
Saab provides an excellent working environment offering professional growth opportunities, competitive wages, work-life balance, business-casual atmosphere and comprehensive benefits:
Medical, vision and dental insurance for employees and dependents
Paid time off including: minimum of 3 weeks vacation, 5 floating holidays, 8 designated holidays, 3 weeks personal illness, bereavement, jury duty and disability
401(k) with immediate vesting on employer match
Employee assistance programs
Employee stock purchase program with employer match
Saab is a global defense and security company operating in the fields of air, land and naval defense, civil security and commercial aeronautics. We number approximately 17,000 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and one-fifth of our earnings are spent on research and development.
Saab is a company where we see diversity as an asset and offer unlimited opportunities for advancing in your career. We are also a company that respects each person’s needs and encourage employees to lead a balanced, rewarding life beyond work. Saab values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran, disability status, or any other federal, state, or locally protected category.