Aircraft Worker Aircraft Mechanic Featured
- Elizabeth City, North Carolina
- Job ID
Aircraft Worker Aircraft Mechanic job at US Coast Guard in Elizabeth City NC
Description, duties, responsibilities
This position is located in the Department of Homeland Security United States Coast Guard Medium Range Recovery (MRR) Programmed Depot Maintenance (PDM) Branch Aviation Logistics Center Elizabeth City North Carolina.
Learn more about this agency
This positions primary purpose is to perform aircraft mechanic journey level work.
Being a Coast Guard civilian makes you a valuable member of the Coast Guard team.
Typical work assignments include:
- Checking a variety of complex technical guides to ensure they include up-to-date changes.
- Demonstrating or explaining proper techniques methods of operations and safety practices.
- Repairing and maintaining various major and minor mechanical and pneudraulic systems.
- Testing troubleshooting and repairing all airframe mechanical systems or post assembly checkout adjustment and repair of overhauled and modified aircraft.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
8852 Aircraft Mechanic
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Applicant is required to meet the physical requirements of the position.
- The applicant is subject to pre-appointment and random drug testing.
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Rotating shift work may be required.
- Occasional Temporary Additional Duty (TAD) may be required.
Applicants will be evaluated on their ability to perform the duties of the position rather than the length of experience. Eligibility will be determined by the relevance scope and quality of all experience and training regardless of where or how acquired.
Applicants will be rated and ranked based on their knowledge of the following job elements:
- Ability to do the work without more than normal supervision (SCREEN OUT ELEMENT)
- Knowledge of equipment assembly installation repair etc.
- Ability to interpret instructions specifications etc. (includes blueprint reading)
- Ability to use and maintain tools and equipment
- Use of measuring instruments
- Technical Practices (theoretical precise artistic)
Applicants at the WG-8 level must have experience assisting in assembling installing and replacing aircraft mechanical component parts and accessories; Cleaning lubricating and maintaining the tools equipment and supplies of the trade.
Applicants at the WG-10 level must have journey level experience repairing and maintaining complex aircraft systems major and minor mechanical systems on aircraft and tracing and locating defects in aircraft systems troubleshooting and functionally testing complex aircraft systems components assemblies and equipment.
National Service Experience (i.e. volunteer experience): Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g. professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community student social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies knowledge and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience including volunteer experience.
This position does not have a positive education requirement. If you are including education on your resume report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. See Required Documents section for detail.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet Federal qualification requirements if you can show that your foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the United States. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence with your application. See Recognition of Foreign Qualifications click here
Applicants will be required to complete questions contained on the Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306) at the time a tentative job offer is made. Certain responses on the form could pose a problem with suitability for employment determinations. If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position you will be required to complete/make updates to the OF-306 and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment dismissal after beginning work or imprisonment.
DHS uses e-Verify an Internet-based system to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about e-Verify including your rights and responsibilities at click here
If selection is made below the full performance level the incumbent may be promoted up to the target grade without further competition if all legal and regulatory requirements are met and when recommended by the supervisor. However promotion to the full performance level is not guaranteed and is dependent on successful performance at the lower grade level(s).
Moving expenses will not be paid.
All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit.
The Department of Homeland Security encourages persons with disabilities to apply to include persons with intellectual severe physical or psychiatric disabilities as defined by 5 CFR 213.3102(u) and/or Disabled Veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30 percent or more as defined by 5 CFR 315.707. Veterans Peace Corps/VISTA volunteers and persons with disabilities possess a wealth of unique talents experiences and competencies that can be invaluable to the DHS mission. If you are a member of one of these groups you may not have to compete with the public for federal jobs. To determine your eligibility for non-competitive appointment and to understand the required documentation click on the links above or contact the Servicing Human Resources Office listed at the bottom of this announcement.
More than 1 selection may be made from this announcement if additional identical vacancies in the same title series grade and unit occur within 45 days from the date the certificate was issued.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for the application and hiring process please contact 410-###-####. Decisions on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. Visit Reasonable Accommodation
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The U.S. Coast Guard system simplifies the Federal application process by replacing the former JOB ELEMENT statements with on-line self-assessment questions. Your resume and responses to the self-assessment questions are an integral part of the process for determining your qualifications for the position. Therefore it is important to support your responses to the self-assessment questions by providing examples of past and present experience in your resume.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
2. Completed online questionnaire
3. Current or former federal employees submit a copy of most recent SF-50 Notice of Personnel Action which demonstrates your eligibility for consideration e.g. length of time you have been in your current/highest grade. Examples of appropriate SF-50s include promotions with-in grade increases NOT performance awards.
4. If qualifying based on education submit a legible copy of your unofficial college transcript from an accredited college/university. The transcript must reflect the college/university name and/or logo. Applicants are highly encouraged to proactively order a copy of their official transcripts to be delivered to their home address so transcripts will be readily available if selected. If selected official transcripts are required prior to establishing your start date. Foreign education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet education requirements if you can show that it is comparable to education received in U.S. accredited institutions. Provide proof with your application. Please see click here.
5. If claiming special priority selection rights under the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) submit a copy of your agency notice most recent performance rating and most recent SF-50 noting your current position grade level and duty location. If you have never worked for the federal government you are not ICTAP eligible. To be considered eligible you must be placed in the well-qualified category for this position. Please see ICTAP eligibility.
6. If you are claiming veterans preference submit the following documents. Please see Feds Hire Vets for detail.
a. Veterans claiming 5 point veterans preference must submit legible Member 4 Copy DD214(s) indicating Character of Service. 5-point preference will not be granted if appropriate documentation is not submitted.
b. 30% Disabled Veterans must submit their Member Copy 4 DD-214(s) which includes Character of Service and VA Disability Letter with percentage of disability OR documentation of disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces which reflects a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more.
c. Other 10 point Preference Eligibles must submit applicable Member Copy 4 DD-214(s) which includes Character of Service and provide documentation of 10 point preference described on the back of the SF-15. 10-point preference will not be granted if appropriate documentation is not submitted with your application.
d. If you are a current active duty military member who does not have a DD214 and is claiming preference under the Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW) Act submit certification from the Armed Forces indicating that you will be discharged or released under honorable conditions from active duty within 120 days from the date on the certification. Certifications must be on letterhead from the appropriate military branch and include: military dates of service and expected discharge or release date character of service military rank type of discharge and date when terminal leave will begin. Certifications must be signed by or by direction of military members military personnel offices unit commanders or higher headquarters.
7. If requesting consideration under Executive Order 13473 you must submit proof. To confirm eligibility for appointment based on the National Defense Authorization Act for FY 2019 (NDAA) submit a copy of the marriage certificate to the military member and a copy of your spouses active duty military orders (e.g. most recent military orders PCS orders etc.). Spouses of military members who are on retirement or separation PCS orders from active duty are not eligible to be appointed unless the member was injured with a 100% rating; or was released/discharged from active duty due to the members death while on active duty. Widows or widowers who are not remarried of military service members who were killed on active duty must submit a DD-1300.
8. OPM must authorize employment offers for former or current Political Appointees. If you are currently or have been within the last 5 years a political Schedule A Schedule C or Non-Career SES employee in the Executive Branch you must disclose this information. Submit proof of your former or current status such as your SF-50. Please see here.
All documentation as outlined above must be received by the closing date of the announcement. If you are unable to submit your documents electronically you may fax or mail the documents. A fax cover sheet will be provided to you from the system with fax number and instructions. Required documents will also be accepted by mail and must be received by the closing date of the announcement. The mailing address is U.S. Coast Guard Attn: Office of Civilian Human Resources (Jobs) CG-123NE 2401 Hawkins Point Road Bldg 1 Mail Stop 4 Baltimore MD 21226.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package including: health dental vision life and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(K)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and development opportunities. For more information go to the DHS Careers website and select "Benefits". Disabled veteran leave will be available to any Federal employee hired on or after November 5 2016 who is a veteran with a service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
US Coast Guard Company Overview
The following jobs have been promoted on the Aviation Ad Network and are to be considered - current, newsworthy aviation employment information (FYI). No guarantee is made as to the accuracy, completeness or timeliness of any information, projections or opinions in announcements obtained through the promoted jobs. The information contained in this announcement is compiled for the convenience of site visitors and is accepted by the site visitor on the condition that errors or omissions are not the responsibility of Avjobs and shall not be made the basis for any claim, demand or cause of action. Please visit this companys web site for additional details and information. Please reference Avjobs when applying.