Prototype Shop Aircraft Mechanic Urgent
- Aurora, Oregon
- Job ID
Prototype Shop Aircraft Mechanic job at Vans Aircraft in Aurora OR
Description, duties, responsibilities
Prototype Shop Mechanic/Technician
Van’s Aircraft has an open position for an entry-level aircraft mechanic and technician in our Prototype Shop. We are looking for an applicant with hands-on skills and a passionate interest in the kit aircraft industry. The person who fills this position will inspect and maintain the Van’s Aircraft demo and training fleet, identifying potential issues, and ensuring aircraft availability on schedule.
While primarily responsible for fleet maintenance and shop organization, the person who fills this position will also be paired with senior staff to validate prototype parts assembly and installation and help define assembly sequences and techniques, as well as developing/maintaining tooling and documentation supporting parts production, aircraft assembly, and customer kit assembly manuals and service information.
- Demo fleet aircraft maintenance and inspection (oil changes, condition inspections, repair, troubleshooting, etc.)
- Prototype fabrication and refinement (fabricate/assemble/improve prototype parts and assemblies, testing)
- Assist in writing/validating/proofreading customer documentation (kit assembly instructions, manufacturing documentation, service information, builder support documentation, etc.)
- Help improve existing products (develop/fabricate/improve manufacturing fixtures and tools, create and maintain documentation, etc.)
- Assist in maintaining prototype shop equipment and shop organization
- Experience inspecting/maintaining/repairing piston-engine aircraft to accepted quality standards (A&P License training is acceptable)
- Ability to perform sheet metal fabrication and repairs
- Basic knowledge of fiberglass/composite fabrication and repair techniques
- Self-motivated and able to work with little supervision
- A keen eye for detail and accuracy with superior written and verbal communication skills
- Must work well in a group setting as well as individually
- Thrives in a fast-paced work environment with high expectations, significantly diverse assignments, and collaborative/team settings across all levels
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, with an eye for prioritization
- Experience with MS Office (Word and Excel)
- Airframe & Powerplant license
- Experience building, operating and maintaining experimental aircraft (ideally RV’s)
- Pilot license or interest in becoming a pilot
- Experience operating machine shop tools (CNC router, lathes, welding, CNC machining, etc.)
- Ability to translate complex technical concepts and procedures into understandable instructions using pictures and text for kit builders
Van’s Aircraft is a relatively small company and our employees typically “wear more than one hat.” As such, the successful applicant will be expected to be flexible in their role and participate, at times, in all aspects of the business including maintenance, repair, fabrication, assembly, tool design, shop maintenance, technical writing, and any other duties necessary to get the job done.
Compensation and benefits include paid sick time, paid holidays and vacation, health insurance coverage, life and short-term disability insurance, 401K, employee stock ownership plan (ESOP), and access to an employee flying club.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Candidates of all levels are invited to apply. Preference will be given to candidates with RV construction/maintenance experience. A demonstrated ability to adapt and learn will be a key to success in this role.
If you would like to work for the best kit aircraft manufacturer in the world, email a copy of your resume and a cover letter, and tell us why you are the best person for the job. If there are projects you have worked on that you think we should know about, please include a small portfolio or summary (pictures are welcome). Please include "Proto Shop Mechanic/Technician Candidate" in the subject line and send your email to: or submit through the web site form. No phone calls, please. Reference "Avjobs" when applying for this position.
Vans Aircraft Company Overview
Van's Aircraft is the world-leading manufacturer of kit aircraft. Built on a proud heritage, the company is the market leader in the experimental-kit aircraft market, producing more kits than any other company in the world since 1973. As we enter 2021, Van's is experiencing record sales and growth and so we're expanding and enhancing our team. By the end of 2020, nearly 11,000 RV kits had been completed and flown, and thousands more are currently under construction. Completion rates currently average about 1.5 per day. RVs are flying in more than 45 different countries and kits have shipped to more than sixty. From their humble beginnings on a small farm in Oregon in the early '70s, these wonderful airplanes have achieved a global following. And their popularity is not the result of any superior marketing campaign. Rather, they are popular because they fly so well and bring so much pleasure to their builders, who can’t help but tell their friends (and take them for a ride, of course). After nearly 50 years Van’s Aircraft is solvent, strong, and alive with new ideas. The future presents plenty of opportunities and challenges, and we intend to meet them the way Dick VanGrunsven did when he first built the company: with honesty, practicality, diligence, and imagination. Join us in that mission!