Senior Applications Engineer
- Daytona Beach, Florida
- Annual Salary $95,000.00 - $130,000.00
- Job ID
Senior Applications Engineer job at VerdeGo Aero in Daytona Beach FL
Description, duties, responsibilities
Please reference Avjobs when applying for this position. Send Applications to:
Senior Applications Engineer - Electrical Engineering
VerdeGo Aero, Inc., Daytona Beach, Florida, United States (On-site)
ABOUT VERDEGO AERO, INC.
VerdeGo Aero is an aircraft propulsion technology company committed to powering the highest performance electric aircraft of all sizes. The VerdeGo team is passionate about enabling hybrid-electric powerplants to create a next generation of flying machines. This is not an incremental change but rather the 3rd major revolution of aircraft propulsion in the 120-year history of powered flight, disrupting the industry in ways not seen since the advent of the jet engine 75 years ago. Innovations in propulsion always lead to step changes in aircraft design. Aircraft and missions that were previously only seen in Sci-Fi fiction like flying taxis and airliners that take off vertically are becoming a reality through environmentally friendly high performance hybrid systems. VerdeGo’s hardware centric, reality bound philosophy has already delivered flight ready systems for R&D flight test applications. VerdeGo is one of the few companies in this technology space that has both product-based customer revenue and strategic investment. VerdeGo Aero’s headquarters is at the “World’s Most Famous Beach”, in warm and relaxed Daytona Beach, Florida. Daytona Beach is the home of the Daytona 500 NASCAR race, bike weeks, jeep week and the collegial environment of the largest university focusing on aviation and aerospace, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.
Senior Applications Engineer - Electrical Engineering
VerdeGo is seeking a Senior level technical expert in electrical and electronic systems as applied to hybrid-electric power generation and related systems for aviation. The successful candidate will demonstrate significant experience with operational hardware across multiple and varied projects in aviation, automotive, or other industries characterized by high quality standards, focus on efficiency, and innovative technology.
The successful candidate must have experience with high voltage DC components, circuits, and systems. VerdeGo systems operate between 400 and 800 VDC. Candidate must have experience with safe design and connections, dynamics of HV DC systems, and hardware level best practices for product assembly, validation, operation, and maintenance. High voltage AC is also important as it relates to brushless motors developed with partners, but VerdeGo system bus architectures are typically DC. Must have experience with high-power (up to 100 - 300 kW, 300 – 500A) switched devices such as inverters and motor controllers.
A key feature of every VerdeGo power generation system is a high-power inverter, and the successful candidate should have experience with different inverter architectures including SiC, issues relating to EMI and noise with high-frequency inverters, and other specifics related to hardware application.
- Design, develop, test, and validate Electrical and Electronics systems including Power systems with a focus on optimizing for efficiency and weight
- Develop controls hardware and software to efficiently manage the engine, generator, inverter, and/or power distribution components for HV DC systems with significant transient loads
- Communications systems at VerdeGo Aero will include CANbus, RS-232, RS-422, Arinc, and other protocols. Successful candidate must demonstrate clear understanding of application of these protocols, including physical execution such as proper grounding and shielding, programming, and system troubleshooting
- Create drawings, work with existing drawings, and suggest improvements to drawing documentation for outside manufacture of custom LV and HV wiring and control hardware.
- Engineer functional systems including the development of customized components as well as the selection of off-the-shelf components
- Select appropriate sensors and other test equipment, perform hands-on testing to validate system performance
- Interact with VerdeGo customers to understand project requirements, provide regular updates, and collaborate with external project inputs
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of the state of the art in lightweight, high-efficiency power systems
- Some familiarity with Li-Ion battery pack layout, connection, and cooling is a bonus. Familiarity with options for design and implementation of battery management systems is helpful.
- Job role will include creation of operating manuals, service manuals, installation requirements, and other written documentation as may be required for FAA certification and customer satisfaction over entire product lifetime.
- An accredited bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or a closely related field
- Master’s degree in a technical field is preferred
- Five years of experience with power electronics
- Working knowledge of Matlab and Simulink
- The ability to work hands-on, with test and measurement instrumentation such as voltmeters, oscilloscopes, and bus readers
- The ability to work with ITAR information on cutting-edge projects
- A desire to enable the next generation of novel aircraft
- System level experience with electric motors and motor controllers
- Experience with digital data buses such as CAN and ARINC
- Programming experience in C++, Python, Java, and other object-oriented languages
- Experience with certification of aviation products; software and hardware
- Experience with DO-178 and/or DO-254 requirements
WE ARE REDEFINING HYBRID ELECTRIC PROPULSION
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- This position will be included in the VerdeGo Stock Options Program
- Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
- Generous 401(k) plan that includes employer matching funds
- Birth, adoption, parental leave benefits
- And more!
Nothing matters more to VerdeGo Aero than our strong ethical and safety commitments. As such, all U.S. positions require a background check, which may include a drug screen.
· Background check and drug screen required (every external new hire in the U.S.)
· Drug Screen only performed on re-hires who have been gone for more than 1 year
To conform with International Traffic in Arms Regulars (ITAR), you must be a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or actively working towards obtaining the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Apply now and be part of the team that’s powering the electric flight revolution!
VerdeGo Aero, Inc. is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age, or any other federally protected class.
VerdeGo Aero Company Overview
VerdeGo Aero is creating power and propulsion technologies that enable our customers to develop high-performance, reliable, electric aircraft. Our hybrid-electric powerplants solve the critical performance challenges making the electrification of flight practical, useful, and scalable. Electrification brings huge opportunities, but the electric-flight industry is struggling with inadequate energy sources packaged to deliver the most compelling missions with full regulatory compliance. Conventional wisdom is that electrification and sustainable fuels are competing visions for the future, but VerdeGo Aero recognizes that combined, these two advances can deliver greater impact, faster progress, and higher performance. Three visionaries with experience in hybrid-electric and battery-electric aircraft came together with the idea to accelerate the electrification of flight by combining the best of conventional propulsion technologies with the best of next-generation electric flight. In 2017, they founded VerdeGo Aero, recognizing the need to develop novel hybrid powerplants that enable high-performance electric flight using the new capabilities of electric motors, in concert with hybrid powerplants that use liquid fuels. VerdeGo began developing both powertrain technologies and proprietary modeling tools to understand the unique design space created by electrification. New missions and new aircraft architectures were being developed but the inevitable constraints imposed by battery technology and/or infrastructure presented huge hurdles. Overcoming these obstacles involved assembling a team of engineers who were tasked with creating something entirely new – a novel concept without a history to build upon. This world-class engineering team is led by the visionaries who have been at the forefront of developing electric flight for more than 10 years. Bringing together electric motors for propulsion and liquid fuels for energy storage, our high-performance hybrid powerplants provide our customers with a means to deliver success without a need for revolutions in battery technology and billions of dollars of new infrastructure. Hybrid propulsion offers the best path forward now, and when combined with sustainable fuels it provides the most efficient long-term opportunity to get the benefits of electric motors into large-scale usage without being held back by aspects of electrification that are impractical. VerdeGo Aero delivers fully integrated hybrid powerplants that include the engine, generator, power electronics, control systems, and thermal management. Liquid fuels go in and reliable propulsive electric power is delivered. Our systems offer low direct operating costs with performance levels that meet the customers’ needs.