Director Of Flight Test Safety Featured
- Mojave, California
- Job ID
Director Of Flight Test Safety job at Virgin Galactic Holdings in Mojave CA
Description, duties, responsibilities
Who we are
Virgin Galactic www.VirginGalactic.com is on track to become the worlds first commercial space line. We are a publicly listed vertically integrated aerospace and space travel company pioneering human spaceflight for private individuals and researchers as well as a manufacturer of advanced air and space vehicles. Virgin Galactic is dedicated to becoming a world leader in sub-orbital commercial space tourism developing a spaceflight system designed to offer customers a unique and transformative experience. If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products are exceptionally creative are a great problem solver and can make things happen - apply today!
Who You Are
Safety is the North Star for Virgin Galactic and central to the success of all of our activities. Virgin Galactic is looking for an experienced Chief of Flight Test Safety to lead implementation and maintenance of a Safety Management System (SMS) for ground and flight test operations. Leveraging your extensive experience you will guide and monitor our team through all stages of test operations from test definition planning execution and follow up. You will possess the ability to see the big picture and understand how implementing and maintaining a robust fit for purpose SMS for test operations plays into the ultimate goals of Virgin Galactic.
- Establish and maintain a Safety Management System (SMS) that promotes safe and efficient test operations for Ground Test and Flight Test operations.
- Working with program and flight test leadership establish implement review and revise and execute the Flight and Ground Test Safety programs for Virgin Galactic.
- Interface and coordinate with the Directors of Flight Test and Ground Test to assure compliance with corporate safety initiatives and guidance.
- Be knowledgeable of and assure compliance with customer and government safety and regulatory requirements.
- In concert with Flight Test Ground Test System Safety Engineering and Environmental Safety and Health leadership develop comprehensive risk analyses for both general and specific test operations.
- Lead the Test Risk Management competency area.
- Review and approve top level and individual test plans including Test Hazard Analyses (THAs).
- Participate in test briefings operations oversight and debriefings.
- Coordinate with the Chief Pilot and Director of Flight Test to assess hazard levels and consequences and the associated impact to flight test operations.
- Coordinate with Ground Test and Propulsion Test leadership to assure safe and efficient operations.
- Conduct investigations assess root cause factors and track closeout actions for test incidents / anomalies.
What you bring
- Bachelor of Science Degree Masters of Science Degree preferred.
- 5+ years aviation and operations experience.
- Significant Pilot/aircrew experience.
- Significant flight test safety experience
- Ground test experience.
- Demonstrated resiliency and adaptability to an ever changing and ambiguous environment.
- Strong time management and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple deadlines and priorities.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management as well as internal and external stakeholders.
- Applicants must be U.S. persons as defined by the ITAR (22 CFR 120.15).
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Graduate of military or civilian Test Pilot School
- Graduate of approved Flight Safety curriculum.
- Implementing and/or maintaining a Safety Management System for test operations
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations applicant must be a U.S. citizen lawful permanent resident of the U.S. protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR 120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race color religion gender national origin/ethnicity veteran status disability status age sexual orientation marital status mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Virgin Galactic Holdings Company Overview
The following jobs have been promoted on the Aviation Ad Network and are to be considered - current, newsworthy aviation employment information (FYI). No guarantee is made as to the accuracy, completeness or timeliness of any information, projections or opinions in announcements obtained through the promoted jobs. The information contained in this announcement is compiled for the convenience of site visitors and is accepted by the site visitor on the condition that errors or omissions are not the responsibility of Avjobs and shall not be made the basis for any claim, demand or cause of action. Please visit this companys web site for additional details and information. Please reference Avjobs when applying.