Senior Prototype Shop Technician Featured
- Aurora, Oregon
- Job ID
Senior Prototype Shop Technician job at Vans Aircraft in Aurora OR
Description, duties, responsibilities
Van’s Aircraft has an open position for an experienced builder/mechanic/technician to help take our Prototype Shop into the future. We are looking for an applicant with strong established leadership skills, hands-on aircraft construction and maintenance experience, and a passionate interest for the kit aircraft industry.
The person who fills this position will help manage and execute work related to the maintenance and airworthiness of the Van’s demo and training fleet, identify potential issues and ensure aircraft availability, and will help organize the operations of the prototype shop. While this not an engineer position per se, the person filling this role will have opportunities to participate in the practical aspects of development, testing, and refinement of new products as well as existing product improvements.
The successful applicant will also help conduct quality inspections in the Aircraft Assembly Division and with Quick-Build components, provide training sessions, and guide hands-on rework as needed.
- Maintain knowledge of requirements for legal compliance of company aircraft
- Coordinate personnel training requirements and qualifications for various equipment
- Maintain demo/training aircraft fleet (planning/scheduling, maintaining airworthiness documentation, oil changes, condition inspections, repair, troubleshooting)
- Assist with design, development, and testing of new prototype products and improvements to existing products (develop/fabricate/improve fixtures and tools, create and maintain documentation)
- Manage and maintain prototype shop equipment and organization
- Must work well as a project team leader, in a group, and individually
- 5+ years experience in inspecting/maintaining/repairing piston engine aircraft
- Ability to translate complex technical concepts and procedures into understandable instructions using pictures, diagrams, and text for builders
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, with an eye for prioritization
- Pilot license or strong interest in becoming a pilot
- Superior demonstrated ability with sheet metal fabrication and repair techniques
- Experience with fiberglass/composite tooling, fabrication, and repair techniques
- Thrive in a fast-paced work environment with high expectations, significantly diverse assignments, and in collaborative/team settings across all levels
- Must be self-motivated and able to work with little supervision
- Superior written and verbal communication skills with an exceptional eye for detail and accuracy
- Proficient with MS Office (Word and Excel)
- Airframe & Powerplant license
- Experience building, operating, and maintaining experimental aircraft (ideally RV’s)
- Experience operating machine shop tools (NC mill, lathes, welding, CNC machining, etc.)
- Experience to viewing and editing CAD files (Solidworks, AutoCad)
- Experience painting vehicles (cars or aircraft)
?Van’s Aircraft is a relatively small company and our employees typically “wear more than one hat.” As such, the successful applicant will be expected to be flexible in their role and participate, at times, in all aspects of the business including maintenance, repair, fabrication, assembly, tool design, shop maintenance, technical writing and any other duties necessary to get the job done.
Compensation and benefits include paid sick time, paid holidays and vacation, health insurance coverage, life and short-term disability insurance, 401K, employee stock ownership plan (ESOP), and access to an employee flying club.
If you would like to work for the best kit aircraft manufacturer in the world, email a copy of your resume and a cover letter, and tell us why you are the best person for the job. If there are projects you haveworked on that you think we should know about, please include a small portfolio or summary (pictures are welcome). Please include "Proto Shop Lead Candidate" in the subject line of your email.
Vans Aircraft Company Overview
Van's Aircraft is the world-leading manufacturer of kit aircraft. Built on a proud heritage, the company is the market leader in the experimental-kit aircraft market, producing more kits than any other company in the world since 1973. As we enter 2021, Van's is experiencing record sales and growth and so we're expanding and enhancing our team. By the end of 2020, nearly 11,000 RV kits had been completed and flown, and thousands more are currently under construction. Completion rates currently average about 1.5 per day. RVs are flying in more than 45 different countries and kits have shipped to more than sixty. From their humble beginnings on a small farm in Oregon in the early '70s, these wonderful airplanes have achieved a global following. And their popularity is not the result of any superior marketing campaign. Rather, they are popular because they fly so well and bring so much pleasure to their builders, who can’t help but tell their friends (and take them for a ride, of course). After nearly 50 years Van’s Aircraft is solvent, strong, and alive with new ideas. The future presents plenty of opportunities and challenges, and we intend to meet them the way Dick VanGrunsven did when he first built the company: with honesty, practicality, diligence, and imagination. Join us in that mission!