Ticket Agent Q&A
Airline Ticket Agent Questions and Answers
- What does an Airline Ticket Agent do?
Check people in, check luggage, process tickets,
makes reservations and changes to them. Occasionally
works the gates.
- Why did you become an Airline Ticket Agent?
For the flying benefits.
- Would you encourage others to become involved?
Yes, if you are interested in travel and people.
- How does one prepare for this career? (Training,
certificate, degree, etc.)
Have a customer service background, and learn to
deal well with people.
- What skills or abilities do you think someone
should have before entering this field?
Customer service and sales experience.
- What do you enjoy most about your job?
Flying around the world and meeting all kinds of
- What is the most frustrating thing about your
You do not always have a set schedule, and the rules
changed quit frequently.
- What pleasant things happened that balance the
stress of this job?
Meeting interesting people and your coworkers.
- How do you deal with the stress involved in working
with angry airline passengers (suggestions for others)?
Try to empathize with them and kill them with kindness.
- How is math used on a daily basis? Please provide
Most things are computerized.
- What is the most unusual thing that has happened
to you as an Airline Ticket Agent?
Meeting famous people and making good friends.
- How is communication used daily? Can you provide
an example of a problem with communication/listening
and how you solved it?
You are constantly dealing with others and communication
is not the same with all people.
- How are decisions part of your daily job? Please
provide an example. How would an Airline Ticket Agent
make such a decision?
Without having a supervisor, many times you have
to decide what is acceptable and what is not.
- What do you find rewarding about your job?
Happy customers, and making them happy.
- What stereotypes or misconceptions exist about
this field (and what is the truth behind them)?
That it is a glamorous job, but it is a lot of hard
- Do you have a personal work philosophy that has
driven you to accomplish what you have?
Do your best, no matter what the situation is.
- What advice would you give someone pursuing this
Don't give up, work hard, you will be rewarded in
- What future do you see with this field? (The
Occupational Outlook Handbook suggests this field is
overloaded with people. Do you agree? Why or why not?)
No. There is a very high turnover rate in this field.
- What is the average starting pay for an Airline
- Do you think the use of computers will help this
field grow, or require fewer Airline Ticket Agents?
I think it will help it grow. There will always
be problems that actual people have to deal with.